Monday, September 20, 2004

From men to BOY

I happened to notice recently, a few posts on blogger (not necessarily recent), with Calvin as the subject.
Ishwar
Ambar-The Jovian
Epiphany
Sanjeeth
And the usual
Google site search

I found Calvin fan following among my team mates at office; Calvin images on websites discussing esoteric concepts like AVL Trees and Chaos Theory (where I didn't expected to find it).
Makes me wonder, what is it in the strip that makes it so popular.
Is it the antics of calvin? his alter egos? his knowledge of things ?(the way he explains gravity before telling mom tht the lemonade jar broke) The one upmanship between Calvin and Dad ?(his Dad popularity polls)

I feel the actual reason is that each person sees himself as calvin when he reads a strip. He sees Calvin doing things that he didnt/couldnt do as a kid. Come to think of it, maybe Bill Waterson put in the comic strip exactly what he wanted to be and do as a kid himself.

The last strip was in 95 but there is an agelessness it. And (luckily for us) as calvin feared, he will remain a 6 year old all his life ;)

P.S.
For calvin fans,
here is a gr8 calvin collection ; and here is an RSS Feed.
This image that I have as my wall paper never fails to bring a smile on the face of anyone who sees it.


Calvin

3 comments:

Ambar said...

This is of a highly nonsense I say. You are putting link to Ishwar's blog in my name!

Ambar said...

You forgot his dad's awesome scientific fundas!

Praveer said...

See this Anthro...
Dad: "The world isn't fair, Calvin."
Calvin: "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in my favor?"

By the way, Thanks for the link.