Saturday, August 01, 2009

Nostalgia... 1996

Over the last couple of weeks, there have been news articles about the arrest of an African-American scholar by some white police officer in the USA. This led to a row over racial profiling forcing US President Obama to intervene.

The entire event however reminded me of a Sam Jackson-Nicholas Cage movie titled Amos and Andrew. I had to force myself to watch this movie on the evening of 21st Oct, 1996. How do I remember the exact date? Was the movie so bad that it left an indelible mark on me? No.

21st Oct 1996 was also the day that India faced Australia in Bangalore in the 3rd match of the Titan Cup. After restricting Aus to 215, India lost wickets early and were on the verge of losing. But Tendulkar and batting heroics by Srinath and Kumble ensured India won - last ball of last over, 2 wickets to spare.

I had to watch the match, but also couldn't - India was losing, can't bear that! So was switching channels between Star Movies and Star Sports. Nice match, nice memories, I like. :)

No comments: